Tuesday, October 14, 2008

here today

gone tomorrow, is soo not a cliche. it's becoming harder to understand and very mind-consuming how every time you wake up, it could be your last. and there's no way to know if it will be your last. and if it is, why your time has come to expire at this point. i have to stop thinking about this so much. and i suppose i will. but between recent experiences and daily headlines, it's all around. i am, however, ever grateful for each day i do awaken, and will continue to move forward while i am here. afterall, les brown once said that the cemetary is full of unrealized potential.

2 comments:

Charles Perkins said...

From a young kid, I have always been conscious of the reality that this could be my last day. That is why I have always loved so much. Whenever I leave your mother to go to work or any place else, I always part with "I love you." If I don't make it back, I would never want our last words to be about some silly argument. I have always wanted our last time together to be one filled with love. It is not a morbid fixation on death, but, a reality check on what's important in life for me. To have you, Marcus and your mother to know how much I love you is and always will be of supreme importance to me. To understand my mortality is to understand how important it is to let those closest to me feel my love as much as possible. I have done many things throughout my life. And as long as I live I will continue to be creative, artistic, involved in helping others. But, when all is said and done, I want my days filled with loving God and loving my family. I don't know how long I have left on this earth. I do know that, while I am here, I will continue to do what's most important to me. If I live another 50 years and never write another poem, play another song, preach another sermon, I will continue to love you. I will continue to love Marcus. I will continue to love your mother. And I will continue to love God.By doing those things, when ever I die, I will have lived a full life.

Mai~Goodness said...

that's the same way i feel, Daddy. exactly the same way :)