Sunday, May 25, 2008

the aforementioned mos def verse

I stretch my arms towards the sky
like blades of tall grass.
The sun beat between my shoulders
like carnival drums.
I sat still
in hopes that it would
help my wings grow,
so then I could really be fly.

And then she arrived.
Like daybreak inside a railway tunnel,
like the new moon,
like a diamond in the mines,
like high noon to a junkie:
Sudden…

She made my heart beat
in the now/now time signature,
her skin
a canvas for ultra violet brush strokes.
She was the sun's painting,
she was a deep cognac color.

Her eyes sparkle
like lights along the new city.
Her lips pursed
as if her breath was too sweet
and full for her mouth to hold.

I said:
"You are the beautiful
distress of mathematics,"

I said:
"For you,

I will peel open the clouds
like new fruit,

and give you lightning and thunder
as a dowry.

I will make the sky shed
all of it's stars like rain,

and I will clasp the constellations
across your waste,

and i will
make the heavens
your cape.

And they will be pleased to cover you,
they will be pleased to cover you,

May i please… cover you…
…please…"

No comments: